symbols and believes
- The cross-shaped form of the doll is a symbol of the succession and protection of generations.
- A cross on the face is like a cross inside a circle - an ancient solar sign. It's believed that this solar sign keeps positive energy inside the doll.
- A thread cross on the chest symbolises life, the unity of a man and a woman. All vertical lines are masculine, all horizontal lines stand for women.
- One mustn't use needles when making a doll. An old belief states that one can sew up both good and evil thoughts.
- Spiral rolling in the process of making Motanka is associated with the eternity, the cycle of birth, growth, death, and then rebirth.